Friday Five. Moving.

Mother Laura writes: We are right in the middle of a move--only twenty minutes away, but we're still a mix of busy, excited, nervous and surprisingly full of grief about what we're leaving, for me at least. So this week's Friday Five asks about your experience of the marvels and madness of moving...

1. How many times have you moved? When was the last time?


Oh gosh. We moved at least 9 times before I finished high school. Three times in 7th grade. (Yes, it was traumatic.) I won't count college, but after that I have moved...well, as it turns out, I've also moved 9 times since then. (I'm 52, so that's quite a slow down)


2. What do you love and hate about moving?

I hated moving when I was growing up. Since then, it's depended on the circumstances. I didn't want to give up my beautiful home to move to a rental place to go to seminary, although going to seminary was something I loved, so overall it was worth it. But I had some grief work to do about leaving that house--it was the best place I've ever lived.

I kind of like the packing and unpacking--it gives me a chance to re-organize which I love to do!


3. Do you do it yourself or hire movers?

Oh, I ALWAYS hire movers.


4. Advice for surviving and thriving during a move?

Plan it.
Organize it.
Get your friends to help you (pack, unpack, feed you, etc!).
Get pictures up on the walls quickly (somehow, nothing depresses me like empty walls) .


5. Are you in the middle of any inner moves, if not outer ones?

Well, yes, some inner moves, but I'm not quite ready to write about it.

Comments

Great advice. There is something about picture on the wall. And I agree with movers.

And yes, those inner moves...
Diane M. Roth said…
I like the pictures on the walls advice :). but sometimes I'm nervous about that first nail.
LutheranChik said…
Great idea about pictures on the walls.
Terri said…
I continue to wait for two great pieces of art which need to be sent from Chicago...until they arrive I cannot hang my art....it is frustrating because I always feel better and more settled once everything is hung...
"Ms. Cornelius" said…
I loathe moving, which is why we have been in a house we've outgrown for several years.
Jan said…
I know we share a lot of similar history, and here is another example. Thanks for sharing. And thank you for the compliment you left about me at Diane's blog.

Popular posts from this blog

"The Bible does not close discussions; it seeks to open them"

Returning?

Mother's Day...and Children Everywhere, It Seems!