Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wolf Totem -- highly recommended

I've been reading Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong. Started about 9:00 this morning and am about halfway through. It's amazing. I'm totally transported to another world -- the world of Inner Mongolia's grasslands. It's set during the Chinese Cultural Revolution of the 1960s when a young Chinese intellectual travels to this strange land of nomadic Mongols who live in "perfect harmony with their beautiful but exacting natural environment. At the core of their beliefs is the notion of a triangular balance between the earth, humankind, and the fierce otherworldly Mongolian wolf."

In a very strange way, this book is a page turner. There's no 'mystery-murder,' no 'love triangle,' no 'adventure searching for relics from the Catholic church,' but, still, I've found myself eagerly moving from chapter to chapter, anticipating Chen Zhen's next encounter with the wolves.


Such a different, very spiritual, world. I'm enthralled.


2 comments:

Jan said...

I will take your recommendation and get this. Thanks, Katherine!

Diane said...

yes, I'm going to be looking for this one, too!