Saturday, August 14, 2010

We're Melting Down Here

This is our 15th straight day of temperatures over 100 degrees F. We had a surprising amout of rain in July and we kept remarking how green everything was. Now it's all dead and brown.

Yesterday David complained about the heat, a rare happening. Psychologically, it's wearing us all down. I'm suppose to have "high tea" with a bunch of friends this afternoon--a lovely idea and I'm sure we'll have a lovely time, but the very idea of just getting outside to drive to the antique mall ... ugh.

And it's not only the temps, it's the unrelenting brightness, reminding me of those old Westerns where the hero was left to die out on the desert somewhere, and the sun beating down, and he squints and sweats, and the music portrays a slow, rhythmic forewarning of death, and he thinks he sees water in the distance but of course it's only a mirage... :-)

Right, and if my car unexpectedly breaks down, I'll have to play that part: the heroine, out all alone on the side of the highway, squinting this way and squinting that way (sunglasses don't help all that much, you know--not in this level of blaze) ... and no one stops to help, so I must trudge forward all alone, one foot heavily in front of the other, my pale skin blistering red before my very eyes, sweat falling down from the end of my nose, so parched that my tongue cements to the top of my mouth, I am helpless to staunch my tears. Finally, I feel faint...

Yep, psychologically, I'm definitely wearing down....

6 comments:

Robin said...

You are one tough lady! Relentless!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the buzzards.
-- C.

Jan said...

Hope the tea was better than expected and that you returned home safely (in your air conditioned car).

I hear you about the heat. It is oppressive. It is Texas.

Mompriest said...

Hopefully the high tea was delightful. I remember that unrelenting sun in Arizona...at least here, while we have had many days in a row of upper 90's and 100 with high humidity, we do still have a lot of green - trees and grass and flowers - more gentle on the eye - but a reminder that I understand exactly what you mean.

Jan said...

I just talked with Judy T. and she really enjoyed the tea and being with you and your friends. Wish I could join you sometime!

Carolyn said...

You made me laugh with your highway heroine story. So glad that you made it to High Tea. It was fun! Love you!