Monday, August 16, 2010

A New Spiritual Discipline

I'm trying a new spiritual discipline. I've set the alarm clock on my phone to go off, with soothing harp music, every hour during the day. As I reach to turn it off each time, I read the title that I gave to the alarm: "Body, Mind, Holy Spirit"

Then I stop, just for a few moments, and I remind myself of three things:

1. Body.
I do a quick body scan. After all, the "body is the best spiritual director we can ever have" (Emily H.) Lately, I've mostly been noticing, when I do the body scan, how my foot is still hurting from the fall I took during vacation. But I usually also notice my level of hunger. When I realize that I'm not hungry, it helps a bit with emotional or stress eating.

2. Mind.
Here I remind myself that: "I am not my thoughts. My true self--my authentic self--lies behind/beyond my thoughts. "I" am a particular and unique manifestation of LIFE, the life-force, the divine spark, the creative energy that continues to bring forth the world." I find this to be an amazing thought. It's really helped me vis-a-vis my relationship with death. Plus, in the last couple of days I've actually been 'present' enough to remember that "I am not my thoughts" during times when I am thinking fearfully or judgmentally. It's been a huge release! Wow.

3. Holy Spirit.
Here I take a deep breath and say to myself: "I open myself to the guidance and wisdom of the Holy Spirit." Each time I say this to myself, I feel this letting go inside me. Very powerful.





I've been doing this for about a week. Sometimes the alarm goes off when I'm with someone, so I turn it off and then forget it. Other times, the alarm goes off when I'm focused on something else, so I turn it off and don't go back to it until it rings again the next hour. Mostly, though, I've been fairly faithful, and I think it's beginning to make a difference. Someone at my lectio divina group said "You're taking little Sabbaths throughout the day," and that's a lovely way to put it, I think. Little Sabbaths that bring me back to the present moment and remind me of what is, for me, ultimately true.

o
o

6 comments:

Robin said...

Wonderful.

Gabriele said...

Amazing way to pray. May I give this a try?

Katherine E. said...

@ Gabriele: of course! Maybe we can encourage one another in some way...

Katherine E. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabriele said...

thank you. Rncouragement. That would be good. got any bright ideas?

Mompriest said...

praying through the hours is a delightful way to sustain one through the complicated ups and downs of each day....even a short sweet prayer like this! very cool.