Friday, April 9, 2010

Tonight I am grateful...

Gracious God,

Tonight I am grateful for flowers...colorful zenias, begonias, marigolds...for patio decks built by my husband's loving hands...for the 75 year old American Elm tree that reaches to the sky forming a cathedral for me as I revel in a beautiful day outdoors.

Tonight I am grateful that David made such a powerful and deep connection with an old friend tonight, someone he played with as a little boy in Miami and hadn't seen for over 35 years. Their conversation was deeply meaningful -- I was so moved to hear David talk about it. Thank you. Keep him safe there in Florida on his pilgrimage through old haunts (shrines, I guess that would be, in keeping with the pilgrimage analogy) before attending his business meeting.

Tonight I am grateful for friends, especially those coming to my little "tea party" (the original, non-political type) in the backyard tomorrow. I know you will bless our gathering; help me stay aware of your connecting presence. I'm looking forward to preparing the tea and various little munchies for them. Thank you for the inspiration to issue a 'spontaneous invitation' the way I did yesterday.

Tonight I am grateful for family. For my niece, with whom I spoke on the phone this afternoon. Keep her healthy, O God. For my brother-in-law as he continues on hospice care. I pray for my sister -- may she continue to be energized and able to see the humor in life--one of her many gifts. I'm grateful for Deb and Katie who will both be here tomorrow and will join in the tea party with my friends--they'll keep us lively, for sure! How grateful I am that they are both coming to spend the weekend with me, and visit with each other, while David's away.

Finally, tonight, I am aware that your grace is indeed sufficient for all things.
Thank you.

4 comments:

Paula said...

I love that your post tonight is about gratitude :) At our retreat tomorrow, we're ending the day with a "Wall of Gratitude" - http://bit.ly/9lljVb

Paula

Terri (AKA Mompriest) said...

Much to be grateful for. I hope you enjoy this time with your friends...

Jennifer said...

Lovely. I hope your tea party was a rich and wonderful time!

Kaye said...

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart"
Celia Thaxter (American Poet, 1836-1894)

I picked up on your blog about being grateful, and thought you might appreciate this quote.

I am a new author of a book titled: When I Am Grateful
It's a gift book that outlines the 'stuff' that can happen to us everyday and then reminds
the reader how we can be grateful, even in the most challenging times.

You can view a book video on my site which gives you more insights.
Go to: wheniamgrateful.com

Have a Grateful Day!