Monday, April 12, 2010

Silence, the "space beyond thought"

Held a new Sacred Conversations, a Circle of Trust group at my church tonight. We already have two groups on Sunday mornings--one on the 2nd Sunday and another on the 4th Sunday. Monday night seems to be a good time; we had 10 people there.

I love being with people who are comfortable with silence. As we looked at a poem I just closed my eyes and tried to move deeply into what the words evoked for me in the present, and I did that without self-consciousness, knowing that most others there were doing the same thing.

As people shared I was reminded of that 'space beyond thought' where there is no judgment, no fear. That place is tremendously attractive for me (and a tiny bit terrifying). I'd love to know what it's like to get beyond the mind to a consciousness that is without language, in no need of words. I've had glimpses, moments. I wonder what would it be like to live there more often? Tonight I got in touch with my longing for that....

2 comments:

Purple said...

There is such power in silence. I miss having a group which is comfortable with silence and practices it regularly.

Terri (AKA Mompriest) said...

Inspite of the fact that I have meditated for many years I too have only had a few occasions of such silence and peace. I mean I have silence every time I meditate but it's not the space beyond silence....how wonderful to have this group to sit in silence with.