Sunday, October 25, 2009

Busy plateaus

The wedding was wonderful. The weekend before that, our Mary's Hope Conference on spiritual healing for survivors of childhood sexual abuse turned out to be a wonderful success. And for three or four weekends before that, I was struggling with bronchitis and asthma and flu. And, of course, every weekend since September has been a working weekend for teaching my class at the seminary.

I'm pooped.

Five more classes to teach. Thanksgiving. Advent and the holidays.

How to stay centered and present, and not just keep my eye toward a future with a vacation in it? After all, staying centered and present makes every moment a vacation.

It helps that I'm seeing my therapist regularly again. When I was sick I had an emotional meltdown--that's what prompted me to make the first appointment. I hadn't seen M, my therapist, in over a year, during which time she'd been trained in EMDR so she invited me to consider coming regularly again for a while to try this new method.

Working with memories, EMDR simultaneously stimulates both sides of the brain to kind of re-wire those neural patterns that developed as a child reacting to various stresses and hurts (my words). I had my doubts, but I trust M so much that I was very willing to give it a try. First session was okay but nothing big. This second session on Friday was amazing. Very powerful. So much emotional "gunk" (technical term) came out that I've been exhausted ever since.

I'm hopeful that this method can really help move me forward again psychologically. I've been plateaued for a while now.

Speaking of plateaus...David drove me around to where he's been riding his bike. Up and down. Up and down! :-) This area is about 5 miles south of where we live, kind of a rural area. Not really rural -- there are lots of people, but the roads are tiny, and it's probably still an unincorporated area. Anyway, it's amazing to me that he can ride 32 miles. I've been riding my bike around our rather hilly neighborhood and can barely do a mile!

Here's to school, church, bike riding, and keeping-on-keeping-on!

5 comments:

Purple said...

Katherine...whew...

I cannot imagine prepping for the course you are teaching...but I sure would love to sit in and hear you.

Blessings as you continue to heal in all levels.

Jan said...

I feel overwhelmed as I SIT here reading about all your are doing. Katherine, you are amazing. You continue to strive to teach and nurture others, while growing within. I hope you'll keep writing about EMDR; I tried it once, but it was with a former therapist and he crossed boundaries which I only realized later.

Thank you, my dear.

RJ said...

I sure can speak to the blessings of EMDR, Katharine, not only in helping my brain make new and healthier connections but also liberating me - healing me actually - from the wounds of much of the past. My prayers are with you.

Mompriest said...

EMDR sounds intriguing....and hopefully will be healing for you. I bought a bike recently and can make it about 4-1/2 miles. Once rode 7, but that was tough....all in good time, though. Hoping for good energy as you finish teaching this class.

Jennifer said...

There you go...

thinking of you!