Friday, July 17, 2009

Teaching in the Fall

I don't know how actually teaching this class at my seminary in the Fall will be, but preparing for it is a blast. I've done all the classes for the psychotherapies we're going to cover and today I'm preparing the class on "Self Knowledge."

It's all so fascinating! Makes me wish I was going back to school myself!

My office is a total disaster, of course. Books everywhere! Papers all over the chair and the desk and crammed inside the book shelves. Lovely Passionate Feminist is getting her own apartment in about 3 weeks, and sometime after that I'm going to move my office into her old room, since it's bigger, and make this little office space into a guest bedroom. Of course, I don't really have the time to do that, but .... :-)

Gosh, I'm so grateful to have this opportunity to teach this class. What a gift it's been, and it hasn't even started!

9 comments:

Purple said...

Glad you are enjoying all the prep work. I remember from a previous post you are having them read Jean Stairs "Listening for the Soul". We read that book my first semester in seminary...loved.every.word.

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you.
Love,dg

Jan said...

I am impressed and proud at the same time, Katherine. Since you and Purple both recommend the Stairs' book, I think I'll have to get it.

Gannet Girl said...

Your class is going to be wonderful!

Gannet Girl said...

And I am going to order the Stairs book, with which I am unfamiliar.

Going out on a limb here but . . . doing a spiritual direction certificate and seminary at the same time has been interesting in a way that I think this book discusses (based on the Amazon reviews). So much of what passes for pastoral care seems to me to be imposition. I think pastors feel they need to say or do something, so they do -- and my experience this year has been that about 95% of the time, what they say or do is unhelpful at best. I described one such encounter, in which I think a professor felt obligated to say something to me which he deemed pastoral, to my spiritual director, who said, essentially, "What on earth was he DOING?" My response? I see why people abandon church when they are in crisis. If you can persuade a few students that the real art lies in listening rather than imposing one's own ideas of consolation, prayers, whatever, you will have offered a great gift.

Gannet Girl said...

You know, that was harsh, and I apologize. 95% was way too high. Needless to say, I suppose, many of my family members and I have been hurt by people whom I am sure are well-meaning pastors. The point still stands, although I could have made it more gently: listening, not talking, is the skill in short supply.

Katherine E. said...

GG, no need to apologize. I know you're right. "Knowing the answer" is easier than truly listening, but all too often it does a kind of violence to the other person. I'll do my best to get that across, and I so appreciate your comments.

mompriest said...

So excited for you about this class....

Rev SS said...

wish I could attend your class!