Thursday, July 2, 2009

The quantum world...

I took a brief look at PBS's show about Brian Greene's book, The Elegant Universe, this afternoon. The first hour is about Einstein's lifelong quest to find a theory that linked everything together. Apparently he stubbornly stuck with his old way of thinking and didn't pay much attention to the new physicists (Neils Bohr, for one) who were making new discoveries. Even so, string theory is a kind of fulfillment of Einstein's quest to understand the way the universe really works. Too bad he couldn't let go and allow others' thinking to influence his own. He steadfastly maintained to his dying day that "God doesn't play dice with the universe."

Quantum physics is all about probabilities, i.e., God playing dice. In a quantum world anything can happen. People can actually walk through walls, although quantum theory would say that the probability of that would be so low that it would approach eternity before anyone could do it. Hmm...(sounds familiar!)

In a quantum world particles bi-locate and are in two places at the same time. And two particles that were once linked stay linked, connected, no matter how far they move apart.

And, although I haven't watched this part yet, apparently in a quantum world there are MANY worlds. One scientist conjectured that our universe may be kind of hung straight, like a sheet on a clothesline, and other sheets (worlds) are right next to it but we're not aware of them. In these parallel and many universes do all the probabilities get worked out?

In a quantum world the principle of uncertainty reigns supreme. I guess in that world we'd have to let go of our crazy need to control everything & everyone and learn instead to respond with thoughtfulness--most likely that would be a love response, don't you think?

String theory says that the universe is composed of tiny strings of pulsating energy. Pumping and resting, vibrating at a certain rhythm. Pulsing, kind of like a heartbeat maybe?

So, the quantum world is very much like the spiritual world that we know when we tune into God, or move into a right-brain way of being, or reach a meditative state in which are false egos are finally quiet.

I spoke to someone last week who believes there are ghosts in her house, specifically her son who died many years ago and a niece. She doesn't see them, but she feels them. And she's heard them walking around upstairs.

Who knows? It's all such mystery. But beautiful. Very, very beautiful.

5 comments:

Purple said...

It is a brillent area of study, mind boggling, to say the least. I tend to always remember the connectivity of the world.

A.L.L.O. said...

I still lean toward the declaration that God doesn't play dice. I'm interested to see how quantum theory argues the opporsition. I'm not sure I see that. However as a scientist I will undoubtedly investigate further.

Thanks for giving me something to think about!

Jan said...

I heard Brian Swimme speak at Oblate last summer. (Go to the labels on "cosmology conference" on my blog, if you're interested.) I still don't know that much about quantum physics, but I really like the connecting idea of energy. This goes along with that book "My Stroke of Insight."

mompriest said...

makes sense to me....

poststructuralist said...

I resonate with the idea of multiple worlds. I do believe our lives are multi-storied- the good post-structuralist that I am. The class sounds good-wish I could take it....