Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Making some Progress on my Class in the Fall: "Spirituality and Psychotherapy"

It's been a slow week. I've been the only staff person in the office (which is kinda lonely!).

Even though I'm definitely not a fundraiser kind of person, I managed to make contact this week with a couple of grant-giving institutions, some churches and other institutions and ask for money. So far I don't have a dime, but there is hope. I'm trying to raise money so we can bring Mary's Hope Workshops to my city for a conference on the spiritual issues that come with the survival of childhood sexual abuse. Such a worthy cause...surely the money is somewhere out there!!

Tomorrow and Friday I'm here at home working on my class in the Fall. It's slow-going so I decided to take all of next week as vacation time from my church and just work on the class full-time. I've enjoyed what I've done so far in preparation, but yikes! the topic is so big! ("Spirituality and Psychotherapy")

I've decided to start with at least one class period focusing on our embodiment, i.e., The BRAIN. I love reading about how the brain works and possibilities for how a sense of self develops. Wish I was technical enough to put that all together~! ha!

I'm going to assign the heavy-duty reading up front so they'll have most of that done by October...Gerald Corey's Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy. It's an excellent overview of different therapeutic modalities. Plus Diogenes Allen's Spiritual Theology.

Then they'll read about some spiritual disciplines and spiritual formation, plus Jean Stairs' text, Listening for the Soul. I'm hoping that by the first part of October we can begin to address specific topics: grief, the self, prayer/meditation and healing etc. Not quite sure yet how it will all come together, but hopefully that will be crystal clear by the end of next week! It better be!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

There's a lot going on during your quiet week!
Diogenes Allen was one of my seminary profs. I respect his work so much...

mompriest said...

would love to take this class....if I lived just a little bit closer to you...

Jan said...

You are doing a lot! And now I'm wondering if I want to read those books, myself.

Jan said...

Is Stairs' book appropriate for laity? The title intrigues me.