Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Five

I'm home this morning and Jan is writing the Friday Five! ....

Jennifer recommended this book, which I got because I always value Jennifer's reading suggestions. The author of Life is a Verb, Patti Digh worked her book around these topics concerning life as a verb:

Say yes.
Be generous.
Speak up.
Love more.
Trust yourself.
Slow down.

As I read and pondered about living more intentionally, I also have wondered what this Friday Five should be. This book has been the jumping off point for this Friday.

1. What awakens you to the present moment?

Oh, great question! Let's see....
Beauty of all kinds....
Recognizing the Christ in those around me....
Remembering who I am....
Stopping to pay attention....
Tasting my food....
Feeling someone's touch....
Hearing the squealy voice of my granddaughter upon seeing me: "K.K.!!! K.K.!!!!" ....
Seeing Young Man with Integrity and Deep One embrace in our kitchen.....
Talking to soul friends...
Being with Lovely Passionate Feminist or Beautiful Genuine Girl or Blonde Beauty (my niece)....
Having one of those deeply meaningful conversations with my husband....
Spiritual direction....
etc etc etc.

2. What are 5 things you see out your window right now?
Sunshine...
Green bushes and grass....
Our birch tree in the front yard...
The wind blowing....
Green, green, green

3. Which verbs describe your experience of God?

Love....
Be who you are....
Let go....
Find your deep joy!

4. From the book on p. 197: Who were you when you were 13? Where did that kid go?

At 13 I was a very unhappy person, full of self-hate and shame.
After a LOT of work and cooperating with God's Spirit, that 'kid' has grown to love herself, and thus is able to love others with integrity. Praise be. Praise be.

5. From the book on p. 88: If your work were the answer to a question, what would the question be?

Katherine, what's something that brings meaning, joy, and deep fulfillment to your life?

7 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, Katherine, I loved all the suggestions you gave for becoming aware of the present moment. No wonder you are who you are!

Jennifer said...

What wonderful responses! I'm glad you played!

mompriest said...

wonderful, delightful, thank you!

Jane said...

REally glad I came by and read what you've written - very inspiring and affirming

ALLO said...

I love this...definitely on my summer reading list...

Jane said...

thanks for your comment - here's a link to a book I've read recently by Asa Larson http://tinyurl.com/mxtofx
I'm going to try and find some more stuff by her - she seems to have a theme of female clergy.
I've also quite enjoyed the first two Stieg Larsson crime books

Purple said...

"Be who you are"...you say it all with your blog...meaning and authenticity.